tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 02 11:26:48 2009

Re: Cogito ergo sum (was RE: Numbers with pronouns)

Mark J. Reed ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Lieven Litaer <[email protected]> wrote:
> The first translation which was made for Star Trek 6 was {yIn pagh yInbe'} Â"to live or not to live", but
> the producers thought that it didn't sound klingon enough. That's why Marc Okrand changed it.
>
> (I don't remember where I got this from.)

Not quite right, IIRC.  It was Christopher Plummer, the actor who was
delivering the line, who objected to it while Okrand was coaching him
on pronunciation.  The circumstances did not lend themselves to his
going off and crafting a new translation, hence the seat-of-the-pants
coinage of the verb {taH}.

-marqoS

--
Mark J. Reed <[email protected]>