tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 17 15:39:53 2008

Re: A fun application of the "prefix trick"

Doq ([email protected])

First, I'd like it acknowledged that {juH vIvu'meH mughojmoH SoS} is
not a work-around. It is simply an excellent translation. The purpose
of the action of causing you to learn is that you manage the house.
The direct object of the causing to learn is you, not the home or the
management of the home.

Second, don't start an old argument and claim that you aren't starting
an old argument. All you are doing is presenting your case and telling
anybody who disagrees to shut up. You are like Cicero saying, "I am
not saying that Fred's wife is ugly or that his breath smells putrid.
Let it not be said that his children are stupid," all while planting
the thought-seeds that Fred's wife is ugly, he has bad breath and
stupid children.

For all new students of the Klingon language, please note that there
is not a single instance of canon or any description from Okrand that
suggests that when you add {-moH} to a verb, it doesn't change the
direct object of the verb. This is wholly Ter'eS's idea. Maybe he has
convinced someone else here as well. If so, I'm sure we'll hear from
them.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of examples of {-moH} changing the direct
object of a verb. You can learn to read, but you can't cause "to read"
to learn. You can cause a student to learn. That causing to learn can
have a purpose. That purpose can be "to read".

vaj:

laDchoHghach Daghoj. bIlaDmeH qaghojmoH.

tlhIngan Hol Daghoj. tlhIngan Hol DayajmeH qaghojmoH.

Doq

On Sep 17, 2008, at 3:33 PM, Terrence Donnelly wrote:

> In my lyrics to {lurDech}, I wanted to translate the phrase "Mother
> teaches me to manage the house".  The verb {ghojmoH} immediately
> suggested itself, but how to use it, given that we never reached
> concensus on what it's direct object would be: the subject(lesson)
> or the person taught the subject, or what role the person taught
> would take on if it wasn't the object?  So, I settled on {juH
> vIvu'meH mughojmoH SoS}.
>
> I thought I was pretty clever ;)
>
> -- ter'eS

Back to archive top level