tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 18 16:26:51 2008

SoSwI' SoH'a'?

naHQun ([email protected])

Today, on a whim, I translated the children's classic: Are You My
Mother by: P. D. Eastman.
Being a children's story, the text was quite simple (in English).
I'm pretty sure my grammar is correct, but I'll see what comments come back.
Since the animals in this book can speak, the baby bird refers to his
mother as SoSwI', not SoSwIj.
I realize that the Klingon animals I used don't necesarily match to
the Terran animals in the book, I'm fine with that.
My only question (besides pointing out errors), is how to say 'nest'
and 'snort'.
I used to boardbook version, not the traditonal paper pages version,
so my page numbers might not match the one you have at home, but the
text shouldn't have changed.

(1)QImDajDaq ba' SoS bo'Degh
Sup QIm.
(2)jatlh SoS bo'Degh:<br>
<ghu bo'DeghvaD Soj vISuqnIS!>
vaj mej.
(3) *nest*Daq Sup QIm.
Sup
     'ej Sup
          'ej Sup.
vaj pel'aQ vIghor ghu bo'Degh.
(4) jatlh:
<nuqDaq ghagh SoSwI''e'?>
leghlaHbe'.
jatlh:
<vISam.>
(5)*nest* mej.
pum.
(6)puvlaHbe' ghu bo'Degh.
'ach yItlaH.
jatlh:
<DaH SoSwI' vISam!>
(7)vIghro' vItlhob ghu bo'Degh:
<SoSwI' SoH'a'?>
neH legh vIghro'.
jatlhbe'.
(8) 'uSgheb vItlhob ghu bo'Degh:
<SoSwI' SoH'a'?>
jang 'uSgheb:
<ghobe'.><br>
(9)targh vItlhob ghu bo'Degh:
<SoSwI' SoH'a'?>
jang targh:
<SoSlI' jIHbe'. targh jIH.>
(10)tangqa' vItlhob ghu bo'Degh:
<SoSwI' SoH'a'?>
jang tangqa':
<SoSlI' jIHlaHbe'. tangqa' jIH.>
(11)mevmeH Qub.
SoSDaj ghaHbe' vIghro' 'uSgheb je.
(12)SoSdaj ghaHbe' targh tangqa' je.
jatlh ghu bo'Degh:
<SoS vIghaj.
vISov.
vISam.
vIta'!>
(13)tIn Doch legh ghu bo'Degh.
jatlh ghu bo'Degh:
<SoSwI' SoHqu'bej!>
(14)jatlh tIn Doch:
<SNORT!>
(15)jach ghu bo'Degh:
<toH! SoSwI' SoHbe'.
Snort SoH!>
ghu bo'Degh woH Snort.
(18) vaj, qaS vay'.
SorDaq bo'Degh tatlh Snort.
juHDaq ghaH ghu bo'Degh!
(19) vaj chegh SoS bo'Degh.
jatlh ghu bo'Degh:
<SoH vISov.
(20)vIghro' 'uSgheb targh ghap SoHbe'.
tangqa' Snort ghap SoHbe'.
bo'Degh SoH.
'ej SoSwI' SoH.>

(1)A mother bird sat on her egg.
The egg jumped
(2)"I must get something for my baby to eat!" she said.
So away she went.
(3)Inside the nest, the egg jumped.
It jumped
     and jumped
          and jumped.
Until...
.;.out came a baby bird!
(4)"Where is my mother?" he said.
He did not see her anywhere.
"I will go and look for her," he said.
(5)Out of the nest he went.
  Down,
      down,
         down!
Plop!
(6)The baby bird could not fly.
But he could walk.
"Now I will go and find my mother," he said.
(7)"Are you my mother?" the baby bird asked a kitten.
The kitten just looked and looked.
It did not say a thing.
(8)"Are you my mother?" the baby bitd asked a hen.
"No," said the hen.
(9)"Are you my mother?" the baby bird asked a dog.
"I am not your mother. I am a dog," said the dog.
(10)"Are you my mother?" the baby bird asked a cow.
"How could I be your mother?" said the cow. "I am a cow."
(11)The baby bird stopped to think.
the kitten and the hen were not his mother.
(12)The dog and the cow were not his mother.
"I have a mother," said the baby bird.
"I know I do.
I will find her.
I will. I WILL!"
(13)Just then the baby bird saw a big thing.
"/You/ are my mother!" he said.
(14)The big thing said "SNORT!"
(15)"Oh, no! said the baby bird.
"You are not my mother.
You are a scary Snort!"
The Snort lifted the baby bird up, up, up.
(18)Then something happened.
The Snort put the baby bird right back in the tree.
The baby bird was home!
(19)Just then the mother bird came back.
"I know who /you/ are," said the baby bird.
(20)"You are not a kitten or a hen or a dog.
You are not a cow or a Snort!"
"You are a bird, and you are my mother!"

~naHQun

http://www.myspace.com/naHQun
http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/purpleelaphants/
http://www.orkut.com/Profile.aspx?uid=17154199825822026505
http://www.twitter.com/roneyii
http://web.tickle.com/net/account/profile/?id=x758M2_hBZWoIRWG
http://brightkite.com/people/roneyII
http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelRoneyJr
http://www.mymormonspace.com/view_profile.php?member_id=791
http://www.ringo.com/profile/nahqun.html

Modern playwrights have become obsessed with writing human
interpretations of alien theatrical works while ignoring completely
our own unique cultural heritage.~Bashir; "The Die is Cast" (DS9)

Back to archive top level