tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 12 20:16:45 2008

Re: ngoy'

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On May 12, 2008, at 10:33 PM, Rich Timpone wrote:

> I am curious if anyone has come across a translation for the concept
> of responsibility.

The verb {ngoy'} "be responsible" is a perfect word for that
concept.  The appropriate way to use the word will of course depend
on the context and the specific idea you wish to express.

> In TKD, "responsible" and "to be responsible" are translated as
> ngoy'.

That isn't quite accurate.  There is only one translation for
{ngoy'}: "be responsible".  The English-Klingon side of the
dictionary alphabetizes it as "responsible, be responsible (v)" for
convenience in looking it up.

> As noted in TKD, the noun and verb form of words are often
> identical (i.e. ta' and yoD).  While that is seen in the case with
> responsible and to be responsible,...

What do you mean?  {ngoy'} is only a verb.  Because it expresses a
state or quality, it can be used in a comparative or superlative
construction, and it can be used somewhat like an English adjective,
but it is never a noun.

Back to archive top level