tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 02 11:44:22 2008

Re: be'nalwI' naH yotlh

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 10:15 PM Wednesday 4/30/2008, Sangqar wrote:

> > Du'na' Delbe'ba' Doq.  Du'Hom neH lughaj.  qech Dayajbe'qu''a'?
> > QIj'eghchu' mu' 'e' vIQub.
>
>What I didn't understand was what he meant by {Du'Hom}. Either it was a
>new word I hadn't heard of yet, or it was a coinage of his. If it was a

*{Du'Hom} "(vegetable) garden" - "minor farm" {Du'} - has been floating
around the Klingonist community for a while.  Lawrence Schoen mentioned it
in his article "Consensus" in HolQeD 12.3.

>coinage, I wanted him to explain it in more detail. Did he mean a
>vegetable garden? Did he mean a small field? What precisely did he mean?

A small field would more likely be a *{yotlhHom} - which is also a good
word for "garden", particularly when referring to the place and not the
activity.  {yotlh} "field" is associated with agricultural cultivation:

   Agriculture ({Satlh}) is practiced to a certain extent, though
   it is common to gather uncultivated plants as well. [...] The
   verb {yob} ("harvest") is used to refer to gathering up plants
   or plant parts, whether from a field ({yotlh}) that has been
   sown or out in the wild. The verb meaning ... "plant" (referring
   to vegetation of any kind) is {poch}.                [KGT 89]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level