tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 06 07:33:58 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: maqoch (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Friday, June 6, 2008.
>
>Klingon word:   maqoch
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     buddy, pal, close male friend of a male

KGT 202:  The word {maqoch} itself may derive from {may' qoch} (literally,
"battle partner"), so perhaps it originally meant something like "war buddy".

Here in the States ex-servicemen often refer to their "Army buddies", "Navy
buddies", etc.  {qoch} "partner" might also be translated "comrade" in
other contexts.

BTW this idea may be behind Gowron's statement to his crew in the Hallmark
commercial:

   pIj maSuvpu' batlh maSuvpu' 'ej maQapbejta'
   In our many battles, we have fought with honor and achieved victory!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level