tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 06 07:21:53 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: maqoch (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Friday, June 6, 2008.
>
>Klingon word:   maqoch
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     buddy, pal, close male friend of a male

Used in canon:

   maqoch 'Iw HIq yItlhutlh
   Pal, drink the bloodwine. KGT

KGT 202-03:  The normal word for "friend" is {jup} and it may be used in
direct address in sentences such as {jup 'Iw HIq yItlhutlh} ("Friend, drink
the bloodwine"). [...] The word {jup}, however, does not necessarily
connote a close friend. For this, one may add the noun suffix {-na'}
(definite) to the word and say {jupna'} ("real friend, good friend") [...]
In addition, however, there are some other terms used for very close
friends, and the correct usage depends, among other things, on the gender
of the speaker and the addressee.
     The word {maqoch}, sometimes translated as "buddy" or "pal", is used
most often by a male addressing another male who is a good friend, as in
{maqoch 'Iw HIq yItlhutlh} ("Pal, drink the bloodwine"). When used in such
a context, it signifies genuine companionship. If, however, it is used by
someone who is definitely not a good friend, such as a member of a house
with which one has been feuding, it is considered offensive. Furthermore,
if used by a casual acquaintance, it may be taken as a sign of aggression;
Klingons are generally apprehensive about those showing too much
friendship. A Klingon female would address someone as {maqoch} only if she
intended to insult him or her. A Klingon male with any honor at all would
never address a female as {maqoch}. The word {maqoch} itself may derive
from {may' qoch} (literally, "battle partner"), so perhaps it originally
meant something like "war buddy".
     There is a word that Klingon females use in a pattern paralleling the
males' use of {maqoch}. This word is {chaj}, a close female friend of a
female. As with {maqoch}, it is used only in addressing a true friend. If
uttered by a female adversary, it is insulting; if uttered by a casual
acquaintance it is presumptuous. A male Klingon would address a female
Klingon as {chaj} only to offend her. If a male were to be addressed as
{chaj}, by either a male or a female, he would consider his honor to be
attacked and would react accordingly.
     It is not uncommon for a Klingon father to address his son as {maqoch}
or for a Klingon mother to address her daughter as {chaj}. The reverse,
however, is not true. That is, a son would never call his father {maqoch},
nor would a daughter address her mother as {chaj}.
     Because of the dangers inherent in using {maqoch} and {chaj}
inappropriately, it is suggested that visitors be quite sure of the status
of their relationships with individual Klingons before uttering or reacting
to either of these words.

Proverbial notes:

   pIj monchugh vay' yIvoqQo'
   Don't trust those who frequently smile. TKW

Kor harked back to this expression when he said, referring to the Organian
Council of Elders, "I don't trust men who smile too much." (TKW 167; cf.
TOS "Errand of Mercy")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons