tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 14 12:29:42 2008

RE: Klingon stardates?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

marqoS:
> But this is all way off topic.  What would Klingons call "stardates"?
> I don't think we have a canon word for that.  We can't infer {'ejpoH}.
> {DIvI' poH}, maybe?

Actually {HovpoH} is listed in KGT.  As used in canon:

HovpoH Hut vagh cha' wa' vI' jav Dujvam 'aghlu'pu' 'ach Qaw'lu'pu'
[This ship was demonstrated on Stardate 9521.6 but it was destroyed.] S33

tera' poH jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch, DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh:
 HovpoHvetlh latlh nab yIHutlh
Save this Stardate: Sunday, January 4, 1998. STX

From my notes:

The Star Trek Encyclopedia CD-ROM defines "stardate" thusly:  "Timekeeping system used to provide a standard galactic temporal reference, compensating for relativistic time dilation, warp-speed displacement, and other peculiarities of interstellar space travel. (To those interested in the minutiae of stardate computation ... we shamelessly refer you to Appendix I in the 1996 edition of our book, _Star Trek Chronology: The History of the Future_, by Michael Okuda and Denise Okuda)..."

See "Stardates in Star Trek Mini-FAQ" at:
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/star-trek/stardates/

For one system for computing Klingon stardates see:
    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/ngabwi/

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons