tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 13 10:00:55 2008

bIHeghvIpchugh bIHeghpu'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

For the xeno-anthropologists among us:
I was paging through the "Star Wars" article in Tim Conley and Stephen Cain's 2006 _Encyclopedia of Fictional and Fantastic Languages_ when I came across this:

  The junk-dealing Jawas speak Jawaese, a language with ... origins
  in Zulu ... [Ben Burtt, Lucas's sound designer] recalls that he
  asked Zulu speakers to tell stories in different emotional
  registers for his recordings, but one speaker 'balked' when
  asked to speak fearfully:  "He told me that a warrior such as
  himself would not know any fear, so certainly he could not
  express it.  I guess that's why the Jawas, despite their size,
  became so fearless"...  [cf. Burtt's _Star Wars Galactic Phrase
  Book and Travel Guide_ (New York, 2001), p.136].

Recall Okrand's comment on the Class 2 verb suffix {-vIp} "afraid" in TKD (p.37):

  This suffix is rarely used with a prefix meaning "I" or "we".
  Though it is grammatically correct, it is culturally taboo.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level