tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 27 11:28:12 2007

RE: puchpa'?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

DloraH wrote:
>All these different names;

Don't forget "potty", "loo", and "W.C. (water closet)" inter alia.

>I haven't seen anybody mention "latrine" yet, the popular choice in the
>military.

To me the latrine was the appliance/fixture, and only by extension the room
it's installed in.  From Cambridge Dictionaries Online:

   LATRINE
   noun [C]
   a toilet, especially a simple one such as a hole in the ground, used in
   a military area or when camping
   <http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=44847&dict=CALD>

Of course in the Navy we usually called it the "head".  Sailors and Marines
routinely use this word even when they are ashore.

For those who can't get enough of this discussion, see the online forum
"Are the meaning same for Toilet, Latrine, Bathroom & Washroom" at
     http://www.antimoon.com/forum/2004/6115.htm

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons