tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 25 14:47:55 2007

RE: Positioning for emphasis

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> >> Okrand discusses this in the TKD Addendum in the section
> >> titled "Placement of adverbial elements" (TKD 179-80):
> >>
> >>   It was earlier thought that all adverbials (except {neH} "only")
> >>   come at the beginning of the sentence. This is frequently the
> >>   case, but what is really going on is that the adverbial
> >>   precedes the object-verb-noun construction. It is possible
> >>   for an element of another type to precede the adverb. [...]
> >>      The adverbial may actually follow the object noun (but
> >>   still precede the verb) when the object noun is topicalized by
> >>   means of the nouns suffix {-'e'} (see Section 3.3.5):
> >>
> >>       (HaqwI''e' DaH yISam)   "Find the SURGEON now!"

DloraH:
>ACTUALLY, he says the adverbial may follow the object noun;
>there is no  mention of "subject" either way; and he doesn't
>say it ONLY happens with adverbials.  Careful.

Voragh:
> >Both paragraphs are in the "Placement of Adverbial Elements" section of the
> >TKD Addendum.  This pattern is not mentioned anywhere else WRT other parts
> >of speech.  In our two known examples, it only happens with adverbials.  Do
> >you know of others?

DloraH:
>You wrote "it only happens with adverbials"; Okrand never stated that.  We
>see
>it happening only to adverbials here, because this section is about "Placement
>of adverbial elements".

Actually, I wrote "in our two known examples, it only happens with adverbials."

AFAIK there are two - and only two - examples of this fronting of a
topicalized noun.  Both occur with adverbials.  I suppose if you want be
even more careful, we should say "with the adverbial {DaH}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level