tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 22 22:50:03 2007

Re: puchpa'?

McArdle ([email protected])

--- Alan Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:

> The use of the word "bathroom" for a room containing
> a toilet but
> lacking a bathtub is a regional thing.  Many people
> would call such a
> thing a "washroom", some get fancy with the term
> "powder room", and
> others would simply call it what it is:  a toilet.

This may be true, but I suspect that the word
"bathroom" would be understood to imply the presence
of a toilet in most varieties of U.S. English, even if
that's not the word that would be chosen first by
local speakers.  (I would not be likely to call such a
room a "washroom", but I would understand what was
meant if I heard it used.)

Likewise the phrase "to go to the bathroom" is
understood - at least in U.S. English - to involve
excretion, not ablution.  If there's any part of the
U.S. where this isn't true, I haven't visited it yet.

(In any event, I was using this use of "bathroom" as
an illustration.  For my purposes, it doesn't have to
be universal, it merely has to exist.)

mI'qey