tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 14 06:19:46 2007

Re: Positioning for emphasis

In a message dated 9/14/2007 7:42:35 AM Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> On 9/14/07, [email protected] <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > Klingon has a very rigid word order.  It's OVS.
>
> It does let you front a topic, though, so I daresay one could replace
> {yaS qIp puq} "the child hit the officer" with {puq'e' yaS qIp} "As
> for the child, (it) hit the officer". I don't think you'd have to use
> a resumptive pronoun.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Philip Newton <[email protected]>

I don't think you even could use a resumptive pronoun (which I've never heard
used in connection with Klingon).  A pronoun in the position of a resumptive
pronoun would likely be considered a different entity from the one in the
fronted topic.

But yes, topics can be used for emphasis.

{jIlugh'a'?}

stevo/lay'tel SIvten   </HTML>

Back to archive top level