tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 13 21:16:01 2007

Local Representative Position

goddard friedrich ([email protected])

It's easy to define and describe a nanometer: a nanometer is a billionth of a meter. That's a millionth of a pinhead, a thousandth of a red blood cell diameter, or the length of a line of ten hydrogen atoms rubbing shoulders. If only knowing what nanotechnology really means were as simple: "Have you heard the story of the elephant and the blind man?" Professor Krishna Saraswat chuckles. "Nanotechnology has different meanings to different people, but the conventional definition is the science of material patterned at the 1-100 nm length scale," notes Professor Michael McGehee. Professor Chris Chidsey muses, "Nanotechnology is a concept that is largely designed to capture people's imagination rather than describe a particular type of research. It's largely an attempt to portray a unified vision for a pretty wide-ranging group of activities that might not otherwise get recognized."

Our organization offers a very competitive wage to the successful applicant, along with an unrivalled career progression opportunity. If you think you have what it takes to take on this challenge and would like to join please send the following information to: [email protected]
1) Full name 2) Contact phone numbers
3) Part time job/Full time

The ideal applicant will be an smart person, someone who can work autonomously with a high level of enthusiasm. We are seeking a highly motivated professional, with skill of working with people. The position is home-based. We offer a part-time position with flexible working hours. And we would be happy to consider a full-time job share candidate. A strong background in pr field is essential for this position, as is the ability to inspire at every level. You do not need to invest any sum of money and we do not ask you to give us with your bank requisites! We are engaged in totally legal activity.
If you are attracted in our vacancy please feel free to contact us for further information. The preference is given to employees with understanding of foreign languages.
Thank you and we are looking forward to cooperate in long-standing basis with you all.

The main challenge in 3-D IC design is performance-weakening heat dissipation, which is already a problem in 2-D chips, as any Stanford students who have written a term paper with their laptops on their laps know. The multi-layer design of 3-D ICs exacerbates the problem, and Mechanical Engineering Professors Ken Goodson and Tom Kenney have been working on flowing fluid through microchannels incorporated in the chips to conduct the heat away.
Materials: Carbon Nanotubes Dr. Hongjie Dai, Chemistry Slice a layer of pencil lead, roll it up, and you have a carbon nanotube: a graphene sheet (a layer of graphite) rolled up into a cylinder. "A carbon nanotube is a clever way of making a fully saturated nanowire structure-a 1-D structure with all its atoms fully bonded," explains Professor Dai, who has developed catalysts that control where carbon nanotubes grow. "The big challenge is controlling the synthesis. More control leads to definite physical properties," says Dai. In contrast to conventional semi-conductors, where "the surface atoms are not happily bonded," as Dai puts it, the high degree of structural perfection in nanotubes leads to ballistic transport of electrons, which translates into high speed electronics. Dai predicts that while it is doubtful that carbon nanotubes will overtake the electronics industry, it is quite possible that they will replace some electronics components.

Back to archive top level