tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 31 07:35:45 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: yan (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Wednesday, October 31, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   yan
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     use or manipulate a sword

Used in canon:

   naH jajmeywIj betleH vIyanbe'
   In my vegetable days, I did not wield a bat'leth. KGT

Discussed by Okrand:

There is also the verb {yan}, which means "wield or manipulate (a sword)".
A "swordfighter", then, would be a {yanwI'}, literally "a sword wielder");
the word for the specific type of sword may be, but need not be, included.
It is thus proper to say {betleH yanwI'} ("bat'leth wielder") or {betleH
yan} ("He/she wields a bat'leth").  [KGT 61]

... in addition to saying {betleH yan} ("He/she wields a bat'leth"), one
could say {betleH raQ} ("He/she controls a bat'leth").  [KGT 79]

There is an extensive vocabulary for the moves associated with bat'leth
use. To thrust or lunge toward one's opponent, for example, is {jop}. To
deflect a thrust­that is, to parry--is {way'}. To thrust either end of the
bat'leth (as opposed to the long part of the blade) upward is {chaQ}. To
change the approximate orientation of the weapon from horizontal to
vertical is {ngol}; the reverse is {lev}. To slide the blade of one's
bat'leth along the blade of the opponent's weapon is {DIj}. To twirl or
rotate the bat'leth is {jIrmoH} and to toss it from one hand to the other
(the same word is used whether left to right or right to left) is
{baQ}.  [KGT 59-60]

N.B. WRT axes and clubs use the verb {Qach} "wield/swing (a weapon)".

>Homonyms:
>     yan (noun) - sword

Discussed by Okrand:

In the Krotmag Region "a sword is often termed {yan 'etlh} (or even {'etlh
yan})--literally, 'sword sword'." [KGT 19]

The word {'etlh} is used for "sword" in general, but it really means
"blade" of any kind... Another word normally translated "sword", {yan}, is
more specific, referring to swords (that is, weapons with long blades)
only.  [KGT 60f]

Trek notes:

There's a photo of Worf's portable {lat} (shrine?) with its carved doors
open, containing a statuette of what appears to be Kahless holding a
straight sword - i.e. NOT his bat'leth! - on TKW 210.

Some of the huge statues in the {Subpu' vaS} (Hall of Heroes) at Ty'Gokor
were holding straight swords; there's a photo of Gowron standing in front
of two such statues in KGT 98 (cf. DS9 "Apocalypse Rising").

Duras used a straight sword in his fight with Worf after the death of
K'Ehleyr. (TNG "Reunion")

The Yan-Isleth, or "Brotherhood of the Sword", is an elite Klingon division
charged with protecting the chancellor, whom they guard at all times; i.e.
it's his personal security force. (DS9 "Apocalypse Rising")

Pun:

"[Okrand] canonized the word {yan} from Yan-Isleth "Brotherhood of the
Sword" (SuSvaj at qep'a' 2006, 7/06)

In Cantonese, *yahn* means "edge of a sword" (lay'tel SIvten)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level