tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 29 07:33:19 2007

Re: Hov

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Jonathan Webley asks:

Quvar wrote:
>It has been used in the Klingon Hamlet, whose store takes place on Qo'noS,
>so this word cannot be "only" for the terran sun. Next, although the
>terran translation uses the word "sun", it could really mean literally a
>"daytime-star", just like you might know the morning-star to describe the
>Venus we see in the morning.
>
>Okay, Hamlet is not written by MO, but it is an official and published
>translation, so I would accept and certainly understand {pemHov} as "sun
>(in general)".

I guess we could call *{pemHov} "established", if not actually canon or
semi-canon, since the _Hamlet, the Restored Klingon Version_ has been
published twice (first by the KLI and then more widely by Simon & Schuster).

Other words that have been used at various times for the Sun include
*{Hovmaj}, *{Hov'a'}, *{jajHov}, and my favorite *{juHHov} "homestar" [cp.
{juHqo'} "homeworld"]).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons