tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 24 18:55:51 2007

Re: qechmey

Doq ([email protected])

I'd probably do something like:

waq'e' chang'eng vItuQ.

waq'e' chalvo' pum chang'eng.

The topic would explain what the pair is.

It's like saying, "Shoe, I wore a pair." "Shoe, a pair fell from the
sky." It makes sense to me, anyway. It makes more clear sense to me
than either arrangement of noun-noun construction. I don't see a way
that noun-noun means "X of Y" in Klingon in this sense.

I'd think that {chang'eng waqmey} meant "pair's shoes" or "shoes of a
pair" and the pair might be a pair of people. Who knows how many
shoes we're talking about? Could be hundreds.

I think {waqmey chang'eng} would be "shoes' pair" or "pair of some
shoes", like something that comes in twos that belongs to a
collection of shoes.

If it were a number word, you probably would omit the plural suffix
on {waq}. But it is not obviously a number word. It's likely just a
noun, usually used by itself with context explaining what it is a
pair of.

Even in English, "pair" and "two" don't mean exactly the same thing.
There's an implied relationship between members of a pair that is not
entirely conveyed by the simple number two.

juppu'wI' vIghom. mamI'meH chang'engmey DIchenmoH.

That's a lot less confusing than saying, "I met my friends. In order
that we dance, we formed pictures."

Doq

Back to archive top level