tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 18 10:53:52 2007

RE: Klingon WOTD: rop (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >Klingon word:   rop
> >Part of Speech: verb
> >Definition:     be sick, ill

Voragh:
>>Cf. also {ngej} "infect", {vor} "cure", {'uH} "have a hangover" and {wuQ}
>>"have a headache".

Also {bech} "suffer".

> >Homonyms:
> >     rop (noun) - disease

Voragh:
>>Related nouns:
>>  ... {poq} "indigestion".

WRT to indigestion:

   The verb meaning "gurgle", specifically applied to one's stomach [{burgh}]
   gurgling or talking, is {bor}. When air (or gas) from the stomach works
   its way up and comes out of the mouth (often noisily), one is said to
   {ruq} "belch" ... When, rather than gas, undigested or partially digested
   food comes up, one is said to {'em} "vomit", and the matter being vomited,
   that is, "vomit", is called {quy'Ip} ... (Maltz was quite amused when he
   realized that the Klingon word {rech} "exhale" sounded like the English
   word "retch" ? that is, "vomit" ? but he couldn't explain why he thought
   it was so funny.  (HQ 12.4:8)

Duh!  I just realized {quy'Ip} is the English word "puke" backwards!

Eric Andeen:
>Don't forget everyone's favorite health related word - <pom> "dysentery".

Based on the verbs {rop}, {'uH} and {wuQ}, I would have expected the verbs
*{poq} "have indigestion" and *{pom} "have dysentery" instead of nouns.  I
wonder how they're used?  Surely not with {ghaj} "have" - that would sound
too English!

Can anyone remember any other diseases, illnesses or syndromes we may have
overlooked?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons