tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 29 11:54:21 2007

Re: Basic grammar question

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Qang qu'wI' wrote:
>Inspired by Doq's post, I've played around with a {tlho'meH jaj lutHom} of
>my own. In the process, something has caused me to puzzle a little:
>I wrote {maleng QorDu'wIj jIH je}.

"My family and I, we travel" = "My family and I travel"

This is exactly how I would say it.

>But it seems that the {ma-} should imply {jIH} as part of the subject.

I'm not following you.  "We" implies implies the speaker and at least one
other person in every language so far as I know.

>{maleng QorDu'wIj} seems odd, but that may be a result of thinking in the
>DIvI' Hol interpretation, perhaps it's not odd in tlhIngan Hol.
>
>Also, perhaps {maleng QorDu'maj} would work in tlhIngan Hol even though it
>seems (a little) odd in DIvI' Hol.

Good question.  I don't know if it would be understood as you intend or if
it would just sound as if you left off the second part of the joint subject
or were interrupted:  {maleng qorDu'wIj...}

AFAIK "My family travels" can only be {leng qorDu'wIj}.

BTW note that "family" is spelled with a lower case /q/ - {qorDu'}.

>I would be interested to know if there is some strong evidence from MO for
>any of these, and if not, how they would be taken by any {tlhIngan Hol
>jatlhwI'} who would care to offer an opinion.

There is only one example of {ma-} "we [do something]" used with an
explicitly stated subject:

   notlh veS... 'a tugh manotlhchoH je maH.
   War is obsolete... as we are in danger of becoming. ST6

one example with {wI-} "we [do something to] him/her/it":

   'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'!
   But Captain, that course will take *us* into the Barrier as well. ST5

and no examples with {DI-} "we [do something to] them"

There is however an example of an explicitly stated joint subject with
{lu-}, which is also our evidence for how Klingon handles apposition:

   DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS
   be'nI'pu' lurSa' be'etor je.
   The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are constantly
   seeking a higher standing for the House of Duras within the Klingon
   High Council. S2

If {maleng qorDu'wIj jIH je} gives you pause, you can always restate it by
repeating the verb:

   leng QorDu'wIj; jIleng jIH je
   my family travelled; I travelled too

This does not sound as redundant in Klingon as it does in English.  (We've
seen this repeating of a verb or noun several times in Klingon where
English would omit it.)  A more idiomatic rephrase would be to use {tlhej}
"accompany":  I travelled with (accompanied by) my family.  Okrand has
discussed how to translate "with" on the old startrek.klingon newsgroups: