tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 27 14:42:49 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: chut (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>ja' Voragh:
> > So *{DIj} is a bound morpheme having to do with courts and trials.

ghunchu'wI:
>That's an interesting speculation.  How do you see it fitting with
>the standalone verbs meaning "paint using a pigment stick" and "slide
>sword blade against opponent's blade"?

It doesn't.  They are irrelevant homonyms.

> > *{bo} and *{ghIp} are otherwise unattested.
>
>I think you meant *{bo'}.  {bo} means "feather" (and is also a verb
>prefix).  Are you forgetting the nouns for "bird" and "scoop", or
>just ignoring them? :)

Again... they are irrelevant homonyms.

I didn't think I needed to add "having anything to do with courts and
trials" in each case, but obviously I was wrong.

Surely you don't think all instances of {cha'}, for example, must be
etymologically related merely because they sound alike?  Or {chu'}?  Or
{bo'}?  Or {DIj}?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons