tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 19 12:23:33 2007

RE: nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > Our only other example of {Dat} is the confusing:
> >
> >   qo'mey Sar charghtaHvIS chaH Dat tlhIngan may'Duj luleghDI' neH qIb
> >    nganpu' buQpu' may'Duj 'ej ghIjpu' 'oH.  nIteb ghIjpu' je Deghvam.
> >   this symbol grew to become as feared throughout the galaxy as the
> >    menacing profiles of their battlecruisers. SP1

mI'qey:
>As a novice, the best I can make of this is "The battle cruiser threatened
>and frightened the
>inhabitants of the galaxy when they saw a Klingon battle cruiser
>everywhere while they conquered various
>worlds.  This emblem by itself was also frightening."
>
>I puzzled a bit over {chaH} but decided this must refer to the {tlhIngan}
>of {tlhIngan may'Duj}, which
>is an unmarked plural ("a battle cruiser of the Klingons").  I don't
>understand why {may'Duj} (as the
>object of {luleghDI'} is singular, which it must be, given
>{lu-}.  Wouldn't the {qIb nganpu'} have seen
>more than one ship?

You really need the entire text for context and, unfortunately, I only
provided the bit with {Dat}.  The entire complex sentence is:

   juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu' 'ej qo'mey Sar
   charghtaHvIS chaH Dat tlhIngan may'Duj luleghDI' neH qIb nganpu'
   buQpu' may'Duj 'ej ghIjpu' 'oH.

The referent of {chaH} is {tlhInganpu'} in the previous clause, and the
subject of {luleghDI'} is {qIb nganpu'} "the inhabitants of the galaxy".

The whole text of SkyBox card SP1 {Qo'noS wo'} "Empire of Kronos"
(published in HolQeD 3.4:10) is relevant.  Notice that the Klingon text has
three short and one long complex sentences, while the English original
consists of two complex sentences:

   tlhIngan wo' Degh 'oH Deghvam'e'.  tlhIngan Dujmey law'qu'
   SommeyDaq batlh cha'lu'.  juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS
   tlhInganpu' 'ej qo'mey Sar charghtaHvIS chaH Dat tlhIngan
   may'Duj luleghDI' neH qIb nganpu' buQpu' may'Duj 'ej ghIjpu'
   'oH.  nIteb ghIjpu' je Deghvam.

   This marking represents the Klingon Empire and has been emblazoned
   upon the hulls of countless Klingon Starships. During the aggressive
   expansion of the Klingon people from their homeworld of Kronos into
   space, this symbol grew to become as feared throughout the galaxy
   as the menacing profiles of their battlecruisers.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level