tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 14 19:43:59 2007

Re: vIghro'vetlh

McArdle ([email protected])

--- Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> At 12:23 PM Wednesday 11/7/2007, mI'qey wrote:
>
> >"vay' Dalajqang pagh Dalajqangbe' 'e' vIloy 'e'
> vInIDDI', Qatlhqu' 'e' vItu'."
>
> "when I attempt to guess that you're willing to
> accept something or else
> you're not willing to accept it..."
>
> "when I attempt to guess that you're either willing
> to accept something or
> you're not willing to accept it..."
>
> >points of grammar:
> >  2) are there better ways to express "whether"?
>
> In all the discussion, I think we've overlooked your
> second question.
>
> I assume you're trying to translate "whether or not
> you're willing to
> accept something".  AFAIK Okrand has never
> translated a sentence with
> "whether", but why not use {-chugh}?
>
>    vay' Dalajqangchugh  'e' vIloy...
>    I guess (that) if you're willing to accept
> something...

I didn't think of that.  Thanks.  That certainly
alleviates some of the wordiness of my version.

Obviously the phrase ". . . whether or not you're
willing to accept something" isn't in the original
quotation I was trying to translate.  It was my effort
to rephrase "what you will find acceptable" into
something I was comfortable trying to put into
Klingon.  A poor attempt, I now think.  ". . . if
you're willing to accept something" is much better.
Also, depending on how {loy} works, perhaps this:

   vay''e' Dalajqangbogh vIloy ...
   ... I guess something that you're willing to accept

qavan

-- mI'qey

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Back to archive top level