tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 07 09:02:07 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: DIvI'may'Duj (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >Klingon word:   DIvI'may'Duj
> >Part of Speech: noun
> >Definition:     Federation battle cruiser

Voragh:
>Used in canon:
>
>    DIvI'may'DujmeyDaq
>    at/to the Federation battle cruisers (TKD)
>
>Related nouns:  {may'Duj} battle cruiser:
>
>    qo'mey Sar charghtaHvIS chaH Dat tlhIngan may'Duj luleghDI' neH qIb
>     nganpu' buQpu' may'Duj 'ej ghIjpu' 'oH.  nIteb ghIjpu' je Deghvam
>    this symbol grew to become as feared throughout the galaxy as the
>     menacing profiles of their battlecruisers. SP1
>
>    tlhIngan may'Duj, qItI'nga'
>    Klingon Battle Cruiser, K'Tinga Class. S15
>
>    qIvo'rIt may'Duj mach
>    smaller version of a K'vort class cruiser. KBoP

SECULATION ALERT:

Why is {DIvI'may'Duj} considered one word, but {tlhIngan may'Duj}
isn't?  Or.. Why isn't there a word *{wo'may'Duj}?

I wonder if {DIvI'may'Duj} might be better translated as "Federation style
battle cruiser" -- i.e. referring to the familiar saucer and tubular
nacelle configuration typical of Starfleet vessels.  That would explain the
need for a special word since the Klingons' own ships are familiar and
"normal".  It's the peculiar design that Terrans like for their warships
that's noteworthy.

Comments?

--
Voragh