tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 05 12:58:01 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: tuH (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Saturday, November 3, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   tuH
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     be ashamed

Used in canon:

   bItuH
   You are ashamed. KLS

   bItuHpa' bIHeghjaj
   Death before shame ("May you die before you are shamed.") PK

   Dujeychugh jagh nIv yItuHQo'
   There is nothing shameful in falling before a superior enemy.
   ("If a superior enemy defeats you, don't be ashamed"). TKW

   bItuHlaHbe'chugh bIquvlaHbe'
   If you cannot be shamed, you cannot be honored. TKW

I would use {tuH} for "be embarrassed" if not this comment:

   I tried to "pursue" the meaning of {qIvon}. Maltz seemed a little
   reluctant to talk about it. (I'd say "embarrassed," but that word
   is entirely inappropriate to use in describing a Klingon.)
   [st.klingon 6/29/1997]

Related verbs:

   {tuHmoH} shame [someone]

   Cf. also {web} "be disgraced".

Antonyms include {Hem} "be proud" and {quv} "be honored".

Homonyms:

   {tuH}  shame (n.)

Use also for "embarrassment"?

>Homonyms:
>     tuH (noun) - maneuver (military term)

{tuH} "(an) adventure" used in canon:

   tojbogh pa' tuHmey
   Holodeck Adventures (STC)

Discussed by Okrand:

   The noun {tuH} refers to a military maneuver of any kind. A specific
   plan or stratagem usually has a code name ({per yuD} [literally,
   "dishonest label"]) coined especially for the occasion and not
   necessarily used again.  (KGT 48)

Trek notes:

   space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the exploration,
   intrigue and enterprise that mark the continuation of the human
   adventure into space... [Skybox DS99]

Related nouns:

{nab} "plan"; {Qu'} "mission, operation"; {ta'} "deed, accomplishment"; cf.
also {Dup} "strategy" and {to'} "tactics" [pl. only?]

Do not confuse the noun {tuH} with the verb {QoD} "maneuver (engines)".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level