tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 05 08:58:12 2007

Re: mu'tay vIbuSqa'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar wrote:
>Again I have a few vocabulary questions, which are actually quickly to answer:
>I know that {yuQ vIleng} is correct, is {yuQDaq vIleng} also right, if it
>means the same thing?

Both are correct:

   There are a few verbs whose meanings include locative notions, such
   as {ghoS} "approach, proceed". The locative suffix [{-Daq}] need not be
   used on nouns which are the objects of such verbs... If the locative
   suffix is used with such verbs, the resulting sentence is somewhat
   redundant, but not out-and-out wrong." (TKD 28)

Okrand discussed this very question in HolQeD 12 (1998) giving these
examples of {leng}:

   yuQ vIleng
   yuQDaq vIleng
   I travel to the planet. (same meaning)

   yuQvo' jIleng
   I roam away from the planet. (opposite sense)

   yuQDaq jIleng
   I roam (around/about) on the planet. (note the prefix {jI-})

Additional examples from canon:

   'Iw bIQtIqDaq bIlengjaj
   May you travel the River of Blood! PK

   loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He ghoSlu'bogh
    retlhDaq 'oHtaH
   It waits... on the edge of the galaxy, beside a passage to unknown
    regions of the universe.  DS99

   HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH.
    vaj loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'.
   space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the exploration,
    intrigue and enterprise that mark the continuation of the human
    adventure into space... DS99

   juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu'
   During the (aggressive) expansion of the Klingon people from their
    homeworld of Kronos into space... SP1

   loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv
   Battle menacing aliens in a shuttlecraft journey through space. STX

   lengtaH 'e' yIchaw'
   Let them continue on their way." (ENT "The Augments")

>What does {nech} mean, and how do I use it?

{nech} "be lateral, move laterally"

It's never been used, but it's probably a helm or flight command like {taH}
"be at a negative angle", {lol} "be in an attitude", etc.  In TOS "Where No
Man Has Gone Before" Kirk said, "Lateral power!" which was an order to the
helmsman to bank the ship starboard (or port) using the impulse engines.

It may also mean to move side-to-side, move horizontally, slide
(intransitive), etc.  Note that "To slide the blade of one's bat'leth along
the blade of the opponent's weapon is {DIj}." (KGT 59).  Related verbs
include {Don} "be parallel, go parallel to" (cf. n. {HeDon} "parallel course":

   "We are on a parallel course with [the asteroid-ship] Yonada"
   (TOS "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky")

and {SaS} "be horizontal"

>Do you spell {yergho} or {yergho'}?

Without the /'/:  {yergho} "city wall, the wall around a walled
city".  It's composed of {yer} "domain, holdings, territory" + {gho}
"circle, hoop".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons