tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 05 08:02:41 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: yuv (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > PUN: name based on the instructions on child-proof medicine bottles:
> > To remove, push ({yuv}) while turning ({tlhe'}).

Quvar:
>maj.  chay' pIm mu'mey DIng tlhe' je?

Good question, as neither {DIng} "spin" nor {tlhe'} "turn" have been used
in canon.  In English "spin" refers to faster and more continuous rotation
than "turn":  imagine a child's top spinning rapidly or spinning a dial vs.
carefully turning a radio dial or a sign turning slowly.  As you can see,
both can be used transitively or intransitively in English.  Similar
Klingon verbs include {bav} "orbit" and {jIr} "rotate, twirl".

Note that the causative form {jIrmoH} "twirl bat'leth, cause bat'leth to
rotate" is also attested which suggests ?{DIngmoH} "spin (something)",
?{tlhe'moH} "turn (something)", and possibly ?{bavmoH} "put/place
(something) into orbit".  This is no doubt the safest way to use these
verbs until we have more information about them.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level