tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 01 20:20:43 2007

Re: Spanish puns? (was Re: Pun discovered for {taj}?)

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

I accept all of those Spanish-derived suggestions
as probable, with the exception of taD'eghmoH and
tuj'eghmoH.  Reflexive verbs are common enough in
various languages that I would call those only "possible."

At 01:58 PM 11/1/2007, you wrote:

> >At 02:35 PM Tuesday 10/23/2007, Voragh wrote:
> > >We know that Okrand reads Spanish - his Ph.D. dissertation on Mutsun was
> > >largely based on source material in Spanish - and that there are a few
> > >other Spanish-derived puns in the vocabulary of Klingon.  I
> >
> >Nobody responded - can it be that everyone agrees with me? - so I decided
> >to collect the Spanish puns I'm aware of:
> >
> >{cha'par} "a bird noted for its song" (HQ 10.4) [PUN: Spanish *parpar*
> >"quack" (the sound made by a duck)]
> >
> >{lam} "dirt" [PUN: Spanish *lama* "mud, slime"]
> >
> >{na'ran} "type of fruit" ["The closest equivalent to sweet is probably
> >{na'ran rur} ('resembles a naran,' a fruit whose juice is sometimes added
> >to sauces as a contrast to the other flavors.) Interestingly, many human
> >visitors seem to really enjoy the juice of the naran all by itself,
> >particularly in the morning, though Klingons find this practice most
> >peculiar." (KGT 85) PUN: Spanish *naranja* "orange"]
> >
> >{pa' reD} "interior face of exterior wall" (n) [PUN: Spanish *pared* "wall"]
> >
> >{tuS} "cough" (v.) [PUN: Spanish *toser* (cf. also French *tousser*, Latin
> >*tussire*, Italian *tossire*)]
> >
> >Another possible Spanish influence *might* be the reflexive usage of
> >{taDmoH} "freeze" and {tujmoH} "heat":
> >
> >     Generally, when a verb describing a state of being (for example,
> >     {tuj} ["be hot"]) is used in the imperative form, the suffixes
> >     {-'egh} (reflexive suffix) and {-moH} (cause) are used as well:
> >     {yItuj'eghmoH} ("Heat yourself!"-­that is, "Cause yourself to be
> >     hot!"), {yItaD'eghmoH!} ("Freeze yourself!"--that is, "Cause
> >     yourself to be frozen!").  [KGT 117]
> >
> >Compare Spanish *congelarse* "to freeze", *enfriarse* "to get cold, cool
> >down", etc.  These types of reflexive forms are quite common in Spanish and
> >it may have (unconsciously?) influenced Okrand.
> >
> >Anyone know of any others?
>
>Apparently I'm the only one interested, but there's at least one other
>Spanish pun according to the "Puns in the Vocabulary or tlhIngan Hol" page
>(</wiki/index.php?Puns%20in%20the%20Vocabulary%20of%20tlhIngan%20Hol>www.kli.org/wiki/index.php?Puns%20in%20the%20Vocabulary%20of%20tlhIngan%20Hol
>
>):
>
>    {qab} "face" (n.) [PUN: Spanish *cabeza* "head"]
>

>--
>Voragh
>Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level