tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 05 02:59:53 2007

Re: jIH

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Doq, ja':
>The Moon goes AROUND Earth. The Moon orbits Earth. So, why don't we  say,
>"The Moon orbits around the Earth"? Well, we can, but it sounds  odd, since
>"orbit" implies "around".

I find "the Moon orbits around the Earth" to be rather more colloquial, but
perfectly acceptable nonetheless, and not odd at all.

>Why don't we say, "The Moon goes the Earth"? That's rather
>confusing because "goes" does not imply "around". You have
>to be explicit about that.

But in Klingon, {jaH} and {ghoS} (both conventionally translated as "go")
*may* (but do not always) imply "to", which is what happens in their
transitive usage: {bIQtIq vIghoS} "I go to the river". {bIQtIqDaq vIghoS} is
equally grammatical according to the interview I cited. But citing English
verbs as support for Klingon phenomena is not useful.

>DaH tlhIngan mu' <<Dab>> yIqel. tlhIngan mu' <<Dab>> rur DIvI' Hol  mu'mey
><<reside in/at>>. tlhIngan mojaq <<-Daq>> rur DIvI' Hol mu'mey  <<in/at>>.

See my previous comment.

Anyway, I was intending merely to say that {Dab} *might* be able to take a
noun marked with {-Daq} as its object, not that it necessarily must. I was
speculating based upon the behaviour of other location-marking verbs we
have, such as {jaH}, {leng}, {ghoS}, {'el} and {paw}. I had thought that
Voragh's {yIlanQo'} "do not add it" was a little strong. However, Voragh has
reminded me of Okrand's statement that Klingon considers {Dab} to be an
action verb. This appears to make my example of {vengDaq vIDab} incorrect.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles today at Lavalife - Click here
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D27783&_t=762255081&_r=lavalife_may07_meetsexysingles&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level