tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 01 17:09:43 2007

Re: lutlh Hol ngu'meH mIw

In a message dated 3/1/2007 4:17:43 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> >DIvI' Hol lujatlhlaHbogh tlhInganpu''e' law' law' tlhIngan Hol
> >jatlhlaHbogh tera'nganpu''e' law' puS.
>
> "Federation Standard-speaking Klingons are more (numerous) than
> Klingon-speaking Terrans."
>
> or more colloquially:
>
> "There are more Federation Standard-speaking Klingons than Klingon-speaking
> Terrans."
>
> Why have you tagged both {tera'nganpu'} and {tlhInganpu'} with
> {-'e'}?  That defeats the whole purpose of a topic/focus marker.  If both
> are topics, neither is the topic.

In both cases it marks the head noun of the {-bogh} phrase, a secondary use
of {-'e'} related to its primary uses as topic/focus marker.

(You've also forgotten to repeat {lu-}

> on the second {jatlhlaHbogh}; both subjects are plural.)

That's what I thought, too, at first, until I realized that this way implies
the plurality of Klingon languages, including dialects.  We still know very
little about the linguistic status of the entire Klingon empire.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level