tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 08 20:54:16 2007

Re: KLBC: Some more clueless questions

In a message dated 6/8/2007 12:41:51 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> The definition for {tuQHa'moH} adds weight to this idea: "undress".
> What would be the direct object of that? I undress myself. I undress
> my wife. I don't undress my shirt.
>
> Similarly, the definition for {tuQ}: "wear (clothes)" might simply
> have the parenthetical to differentiate this verb from all the other
> meanings of the word "wear", like {QopmoH}: "wear out". There's
> nothing really compelling about choosing "clothes" as direct object
> in this definition, and it conflicts with the definitions of the
> related forms of {tuQ} he gives us.
>
> Given that, I see {tuQ} and {tuQHa'} as intransitive,

That's fine, but the gloss "wear" is transitive.  The intransitive form of
"wear" is "be dressed" or something else not related to "wear".

lay'tel SIvten   </HTML>

Back to archive top level