tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 04 07:58:47 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: qaw (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Sunday, June 3, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   qaw
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     remember

As used in canon:

   qaqaw
   I remember you. KLS

   Daqawlu'
   you are remembered (someone/something remembers you) TKD

   Daqawlu'taH
   you are to be remembered TKD

   batlh Daqawlu'taH
   You will be remembered with honor. TKD/ST3

[In VOY "Prophecy" we see an intriguing ceremony:  Kohlar leads B'Elanna,
who is carrying the unborn *Kuvah'Magh* (messiah), in a plea for the dead
who are called by name ("Remember A son of B. Remember X daughter of Y.
[etc.]"). Apparently, the honored dead who reside in Sto-Vo-Kor can't rest
if the living don't honor their memory.]

   reH 'uQvam vIqawtaH
   I will remember this dinner forever. PK

   bomDI' 'IwwIj qaqaw
   The memory of you sings in my blood.
   ("When my blood sings, I remember you.") TKW

   vay' DalarghDI' yIqaw
   Remember the scent.
   (i.e. "Learn from your experiences") TKW

   Qu' DataghDI' 'aqtu' mellota' je yIqaw
   When you begin a mission, remember Aktuh and Mellota. TKW

>Additional Notes:
>KGT p. 101.  When taking a table's order, the {jabwI'} neither write
>anything down nor enters data into a computer.  It is considered the duty
>of the {jabwI'} to remember ({qaw}) the choices and to bring the correct
>food, and servers tend to be quite skilled at this.  On the rare occasion
>when the {jabwI'} has remembered incorrectly ({qawHa'}), the patron may
>reject ({lajQo'}) the dish.  If the patron rejects a dish that the server
>believes has been properly remembered, however, the misunderstanding could
>develop into minor combat. For most of the other diners in the restaurant,
>this is regarded as an exhilarating diversion.
>
>Antonyms: lIj

"forget"

Related verbs:

{ghov} "recognize"