tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 31 14:52:19 2007

RE: Number of Klingon speakers?

Eric Andeen ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

In a sense, the answer to the first question must be zero. As a language with no native speakers, there will likely never be a normal, full speed conversation in Klingon. I don't think any of us can achieve the fluency and nuance that comes with being, or at least living with, native speakers.

That said, we do get impressively close on occasion. I would estimate a lower bound of at least a dozen speakers of the language who can hold a conversation without a dictionary and with minimal misunderstanding. That counts only speakers I have met at qep'a' or other places; there could easily be more, especially in Europe.

I won't even attempt to guess at the second question.

pagh

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Zrajm C Akfohg
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 9:34 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Number of Klingon speakers?

Does anyone know how many Klingon speakers there are in the world?

Let me split this into two questions:

1. How many are capable of holding a normal (full speed) conversation
in Klingon?

and

2. How could read and reply to written letter in Klingon?

Has anyone tried to make a serious attempt at estimating the numbers,
at any time?

/maHvatlh

P.S. If no other numbers could be found, how many members does the KLI
have nowadays?

--
  Zrajm C Akfohg   Mobil: 076-211 50 43   E-post: [email protected]
  Villav.33, 2tr   Telefon: 018-500 911   http://zrajm.klingonska.org/

Back to archive top level