tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 29 11:13:55 2007

RE: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for January 26, 2007

DloraH ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

> > >pIn:  {DaH qep DaghoSlaH'a'?} (1)
> > >Boss: "Can you come to a meeting right now?"
>
> >pIn: DaH yIghom!
>
> OR:  DaH maghomlaH'a'?
>
> > >DIlbot:  {ghobe'.  tlhoS SopmeH poH 'oH.} (2)
> > >Dilbert: "No, it's almost lunch time."

The boss saying <DaH yIghom!> is most klingon like, but that does not imply to Dilbert that he would
miss lunch; the boss might want him for only a couple minutes.

Similarly <DaH maghomlaH'a'?> does not express how much time he will be gone.  The thought in his
head in reply to this one could be "Duh, you're standing here talking to me, so we already are
<ghom>."

The first translation, although unklingon, mentioning a qep (in a business environment) implies most
likely a long period of time, thus missing lunch, which is what the comic is all about.

But for #2 I would go with <tugh qaS SopmeH poH>, or as voragh suggested <tugh megh vISopnIS>.

DloraH

Back to archive top level