tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 17 10:25:33 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: Hoqra' (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >>Klingon word: Hoqra'
> >>Part of Speech: noun
> >>Definition: tricorder

Voragh:
> >Never used in canon.
> >Apparently consists of {Hoq} "expedition" (n.) + {ra'} "order, command"
> (v.).

mIq'ey:
>"Expedition" is a synonym for "trek".  "Trek" + "order" = "tricorder".  An
>Okrandian pun?

Okrand's usual gloss for "Trek" is {leng} "trip, voyage" as in {Hov leng}
"Star Trek":

   Hov leng QumwI'
   "Star Trek Communicator" [the official fan magazine] (STC)

   Hov leng ngoDHommey
   "Trekbits" (STC)

   Hov leng De' chu'
   Star Trek Update (STC)

   Hov leng QeD
   Treknology  (STC)

   Hov leng: yIjeSchu'
   "Star Trek: The Experience"  [in Las Vegas] (STX)

   quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv
   Enjoy Star Trek themed food and drink at Quark's Bar and Restaurant. (STX)

If it is a pun, I suspect it's much older - maybe even going back to Gene
Roddenberry himself.  I never saw the connection before, but you could be
right.  I always thought it was a contraction of "tri + recorder" and
wondered which three things it was recording.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level