tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 15 10:19:29 2007

Re: mung Hol

De'vID ([email protected])

Lieven Litaer wrote:
> I am not looking for a word of which I know it does not exist, but for a phrase that everyone would understand.
>
> In wikipedia, one can show his language level, like beginner, advanced and native speaker. These are all simple, except for the latter.
>
> The problem is that in dutch, or german, one says "mother language", or "mother tongue", while in english one could say "native speaker".
>
> So how would you describe - in klingon - a native language, and what would you call it using klingon?
>
> SoS Hol? - perhaps klingons learn their language from the father??
> mung Hol? - language of the origin?
> Hol wa'DIch? - first language sounds very logic...
>
> Other suggestions?

How have you rendered {beginner} and {advanced}?  For example, you can
add {-qu'} to whatever your "advanced" adjective is to convey a meaning
similar to "native speaker" in Klingon, i.e., {po'wI'} -> {po'qu'wI'}.

Also, do you need to keep the skill levels as nouns?  It seems to me
that in Klingon, one would use a verb or verbal phrase instead, e.g.,
{jIpo'be'}, {jIpo'}, {jIpo'qu'}.

--
De'vID

Back to archive top level