tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 14 04:09:10 2007

Re: Why Do You Study Klingon?

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Paul, ja':
>ultimately, I'm not convinced using Klingon isn't really just a an exercise
>in linguistic encryption/decryption.

That's the case for any artificial language. It could be argued that the
total lack of native speakers makes it useless to study any non-natural
language.

I study Klingon for several reasons. Firstly, I was drawn to its alien
phonology, its small lexicon, and its agglutinativity (a feature I like in
languages). Once I began studying it, I started to appreciate the complexity
and the nuances of the language. I continue to study it because there's a
small community of like-minded people who are interesting to listen to, and
who have the strength of their convictions. I also continue with it because
it's an excellent exercise in circumlocution, an important skill if you're
not particularly fluent in a language. Finally, I liked the fact that so
much of the language had to be gleaned from perusing the canon; I enjoy
"decoding" new grammar rules and the things that aren't explicitly spelled
out in TKD.

taH:
>You put forth your own theories on the language, but refuse to actually
>argue them logically.  It took forever for me to get you to give your
>theory that the prefixless and /-lu'/less purpose clauses were simply the
>use of a "raw verb", but you've never given any evidence to the fact that
>there's any canon evidence that verbs can be used "in the raw".

QIn tlhegh DabuSpu''a'? jIH'e' ngerwIj 'oH. jIH'e' ghunchu'wI''e' je ngoDmey
DImuch maH cha'. muQochbe' ghunchu'wI'. QInvetlh tIlaDqa'. mu'meyvam
Dajatlhmo' bItIch.

>What you're missing is that you *are* expanding the language.  You just
>seem to think it's not worth attempting to reach a group concensus on any
>given topic.  Is it because you might then have to change your own views to
>reflect the group?  Or is it because you feel that expanding the definition
>of the language for your personal purposes is somehow less offensive than
>if the group came to an agreement and gave the decisions a little more
>weight?

Why do we have to have consensus? I explained this already: even speakers of
natural languages differ in what's acceptable and what's not in their
language. Why can't Klingon speakers be similarly allowed to make their own
judgments based upon the canon evidence? This {-meH} question is a brilliant
case in point.

>My goal is that when we have oddities like the purpose clause issue, we
>discuss the possibilities, try to draw a conclusion that is generally
>acceptable, and then make sure we write down the conclusion somewhere for
>future reference.

'ach pagh wIwuqpu', 'ej ghaytan pagh wIwuqtaH! maghoHchuqtaH, 'ach pagh
wItob. ngerwIj DalajQo', 'ej latlh nger vIlajmeH jIH chonobbe'pu'.

>There are interesting things in the canon examples that don't appear to
>follow the known grammar.  But there is no desire to actually do anything
>with that information, because that would be "changing the language".

"No desire" is entirely, absolutely, completely wrong. I postulated a
possible explanation for one such canon example; my explanation was found
nowhere explicitly cited in canon. According to your argument, that means I
am engaged in "changing the language". But *no-one but you* has spoken out
against my theory, and none other than ghunchu'wI' explicitly agreed with my
theory, despite that he's the very one you rail against for refusing to
engage in this sort of behaviour! I quote:

"{ghojmeH taj} ... The lack of prefix is clear.  "Knife for the purpose of
learning."  I see it as stronger than an indefinite subject -- it's *no*
subject." (ghunchu'wI', 4 Jan 2007)

"The only reason I can see to argue for {DIlmeH} to modify {DaneH} is so you
can call it support for your theory.  I believe it makes at least as much
sense to call it a mistake and say it should have a {vI-} prefix. I believe
it makes *more* sense to consider it to be an example of correct grammar and
interpret {DIlmeH Huch} as "payment money"." (ghunchu'wI', 31 Dec 2006)

ghItlhpu' ter'eS, ja':
>Even that won't do any good. Have you ever seen my
>Klingon Grammar Addendum
>(http://teresh.tdonnelly.org/kliaddi.html) which
>attempted to do exactly that?
>It was pretty well received initially, and even
>cited in the KLI FAQ, but I don't think anyone even
>remembers it existed anymore,

vIqaw jIH! {{:) maQochbe'qu' Holtej jIH je. jIHvaD lo'laHbejtaH.
I remember it! I'm with Holtej; I still find it useful.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Advertisement: 50% off on Xbox 360, PS and Nintendo Wii titles!
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-4lab-71-bn-49-en-84-k-40-extended.html

Back to archive top level