tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 11 19:15:54 2007

Re: mu'tlhegh ngajqu'

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 [email protected] wrote:
> In a message dated 1/11/2007 8:29:54 PM Central Standard Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
>> Okay, I have no clue what you're trying to say here.
>>
>> "I'll say it again.  This sentence needs to have the sounds of all of the
>> Klingon language."
>>
> I meant " This sentence must have all the sounds of the Klingon language."
> Did I get {Hoch} in the wrong place?

IIRC, you'd said /tlhIngan Hol Hoch wab/ and knowing now what you'd meant,
... well, it's a tough call.  It makes sense if you kinda "group the
words": (tlhIngan) (Hol) (Hoch wab).  Good question.  Part of me feels it
should be /Hoch tlhIngan Hol wab/ but that's a gut reaction... -- do we
have evidence of numbers applied to noun-noun constructions?

Maybe this is a case for recasting to a relative clause /Hoch wab'e'
lo'bogh tlhIngan Hol/ -- "All of the sounds used by the Klingon language"?

But it would be great if there was a clear way to identify counts for
*parts* of a noun-noun construction.  For a simpler example, how to say
"all the children of the Klingon" versus "the children of all Klingons"?
/tlhIngan Hoch puqpu'/ vs. /Hoch tlhInganpu' puq/?  Or should the former
example be /Hoch tlhIngan puqpu'/ and the plural suffix acts as the marker
for "all"?  (note that "every Klingon child and "every child of the
Klingon" becomes ambiguous: /Hoch tlhIngan puq/)...

>> PS:  To be certain, are you looking for *sounds* (phonemes) or just
>> letters?
>>
> Is there a difference in Klingon?  I meant letters really, but don't know a
> simple way to say that.  I want a single sentence (shorter is better) with all
> the letters of the Klingon alphabet in it so that I can learn pIqaD with only
> one sentence.

I've seen /DeghHom/ used for letters, IIRC.  I think there are
differences, since the letter for "a" is pronounced differently if it's
"aw" or "ay", even though the same letter is used...

...Paul

          ** ...Paul, [email protected], Insane Engineer **
   "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
                         -- Albert Einstein

Back to archive top level