tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 02 12:40:34 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: Ha'DIbaH (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, January 2, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   Ha'DIbaH
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     dog, cur, inferior person (slang)

"Noun, used to mean one of the lower animals; a brute or beast, as
distinguished from beings; as, men and animals. Usually spoken as an
invective."  (KCD)

>Additional Notes:
>KGT p. 87.  Meat of any kind of called {Ha'DIbaH}, which is also the
>normal term for "animal" (and also an insult when used in reference to a
>person).

Used in canon:

   verengan Ha'DIbaH
   Ferengi dog (a classic insult) KCD

"This phrase literally means 'Ferengi animal', but translating it as
'Ferengi dog' carries more of the flavor of the insult." (KCD)

   muyIv romuluS Ha'DIbaH
   The Romulan dog irks me. KGT

"... literally, "The Romulan animal chews me", where "Romulan animal" is a
derogatory way to refer to a Romulan." (KGT 167)

"{Ha'DIbaH} means 'animal' in general (also 'meat' of any kind), but when
applied to a person, it is an insult. It is most frequently used
epithetically--that is, in name calling--as in {romuluS Ha'DIbaH!}
('Romulan dog!'; literally, 'Romulan animal!')." (KGT 152)

Trek notes:

Kruge instructs his gunner to target just the engines when firing on the
USS Grissom.  The gunner, however, destroys the ship completely instead of
disabling it ("A lucky shot, sir!").  Kruge kills him and calls him
{Ha'DIbaH!} (in that order), translated in the subtitles as "Animal". (ST3)

Worf's father has been accused of having aided the Romulans in attacking
the Khitomer Outpost.  When K'mpec reveals to him that the traitor was in
fact Duras' father, Ja'rod, Worf points at Duras and shouts, "This
{Ha'DIbaH} should have been fed to the dogs!" (TNG "Sins of the Father")

Duras and Gowron are both anxious to fight each other for leadership of the
High Council. Before that can be done, Picard must, as Arbiter of
Succession, formally name them both as candidates. As Picard enters the
conference room, Duras says: "The Council must have a leader now! Complete
the rite so I can kill this {Ha'DIbaH}!" (TNG "Reunion")

Jadzia is persuading Kor to convince Kang and Koloth to take her with them
to a trip of vengeance.  Kor says he can't convince Kang if he has made his
mind. Jadzia says he can.  Kor self-pityingly says his best days are behind
him.  Jadzia comforts him and says that in her memories he is a great
warrior, and leaves.  Kor, touched and almost in tears, mutters: "You
devious little *hadeebah*." (DS9 "Blood Oath")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level