tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 25 15:01:08 2007

Re: Topic (was: Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for February 9, 2007)

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' 'ISqu', ja':
>Based on the description of {?'e'} in TKD plus the canon
>examples of its use, {wa'ben'e' qatoy'taH} can still be
>interpreted as "It was a year ago that I was serving you,"
>the implication being that it was not, say, a month ago,
>(with -'e' marking focus, rather than topic).

Intriguing. The sentence-initial position of time stamps means that there's
no way for us to distinguish between the topic- and focus-marking functions
of {-'e'} here.

ja'taH:
>Besides, we do have words like {DIS} or {jar}, which refer
>to *periods* of time. That is why, to indicate
>duration in "I have served you for the past year"
>I would use {qaStaHvIS} (BTW I fail to see the merits
>of trying to use it less frequetly) and say either
>   {qaStaHvIS wa' DIS qatoy'taH} or
>   {qatoy'taH qaStaHvIS wa' DIS}
>To be really emphatic I might add an otherwise
>redundant (poH):
>   qatoy'taH qaStaHvIS wa' DIS poH.

Doq seems to dislike this, but there's canon to back it up. "Century" is
{vatlh DIS poH}, found in HolQeD 8:3. In view of that form, I don't think
that {poH} here would particularly emphasise anything; instead, {wa' DIS
poH} might simply be an acceptable variant alongside {wa' DIS}.

>Obviously, not being a native-speaker of English, I might be wrong
>in my interpretation of the English words "ago/from now".

No, you're right. It looks like I was in error when I was talking about
ambiguity in these words. You learn somethng new every day.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles Today @ Lavalife - Click here
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23769&_t=754951090&_r=endtext_lavalife_dec_meet&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level