tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 18 11:33:04 2007

RE: pronouns

DloraH ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

> So, you took the English question "Whose girlfriend is that?" and
> pretended like there is a Klingon question word for "whose" and
> answered {ghaHwI'} and so far everyone here has let you get
> away with
> it. But if you actually tried to ask that question in Klingon, you'd
> realize there is no question word for "whose". There is only one for
> "who": {'Iv}. So the question is not "Whose girlfriend is that?" The
> question is really "That is the girlfriend of whom?" So, if you
> wanted to use a short answer, the answer would be {jIH!}.

Ok, so that question was a bad example of a way to derive to a pronoun-type4; and I am certainly not
suggesting daily usage, but I can imagine that a type 4 COULD be used, at least in colloquial usage.

In a classroom in a writing exam it would not be good.  But on the street among friends I wouldn't
have any problem with it.  Even then it would certainly be rare.

DloraH

Back to archive top level