tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 18 11:00:55 2007

Re: pronouns

Doq ([email protected])

Klingon doesn't have a grammatical format for questions that is
different from the grammatical format of statements. It takes what is
grammatically a statement and then either adds {-'a'} to the verb or
uses a question word in place of a noun or adverb in what would
otherwise be a statement. The answer is either "Yes" or "No" if
{-'a'} was added to the verb, or it is a repeat of the original
statement with the answer noun or adverb replacing the question word.

So, you took the English question "Whose girlfriend is that?" and
pretended like there is a Klingon question word for "whose" and
answered {ghaHwI'} and so far everyone here has let you get away with
it. But if you actually tried to ask that question in Klingon, you'd
realize there is no question word for "whose". There is only one for
"who": {'Iv}. So the question is not "Whose girlfriend is that?" The
question is really "That is the girlfriend of whom?" So, if you
wanted to use a short answer, the answer would be {jIH!}.

There is no Klingon question you can ask for which the answer is "She
is mine," with the word "mine" acting as the answer because in
Klingon, first person possession is indicated with a Type 4 noun
suffix and there is no Type 4 question suffix for nouns in Klingon
for which one of our current Type 4 noun suffixes can provide the
answer. That's why {-wI'} can't be the answer, tagged onto {ghaH}.

DIvI' Hol Dalo'taHvIS bIghel "Whose girlfriend is that?". ghIq
tlhIngan Hol Dalo'taHvIS bIjang 'ej mu'Hey <<ghaHwI'>> Dalo'. mu'na'
'oH'a'?

bIgheltaHvIS tlhIngan Hol yIlo'. ghIq bIjang.

'Iv parmaqqay ghaH?

jIH parmaqqay ghaH!

parmaqqaywI' ghaH.

Dap 'oH mu'qoq <<ghaHwI'>>. chaq bIqIDmo' chIch bIjatlhHa'
<<ghaHwI'>>, 'ach mu'na' 'oHbe' 'ej bIjangtaHvIS QapHa' mu'vetlh.

Doq

On Feb 18, 2007, at 10:29 AM, DloraH wrote:

>>> Type 4, I could imagine such uses as 'oHwIj; and I have
>>> used and seen used 'oHvetlh.  I can even see
>>> ghaHwIj, "Who's girlfriend is she?" "ghaHwIj".
>>>

>> {ghaHwIj} sounds really wrong (aside from -wI').
>> " 'Iv jIl ghaH?" - " jIlDaj/jIlwI'/... (ghaH). "
>>

> Did I put -wIj on there?  I couldn't have.  It must have beeen a
> transmission error enroute.
>

> DloraH

Back to archive top level