tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 12 14:29:17 2007

Fwd: Ethnographer wishing to learn more about Klingon language and its users

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

I don't remember if this made it to the List, so I'll re-post it.

---------------------  Begin Forwarded Message  ---------------------
To: [email protected]
From: "karolina_ethnoresearcher" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:48:31 -0000
Subject: [Klingon_Language] Ethnographer wishing to learn more about
Klingon language and its users

Hello,

My name is Karolina Kazimierczak. I am a PhD student in Sociology
Department at Lancaster University in UK. I am also, and maybe more
importantly, a fan of Star Trek. Currently I'm engaged in a research
project concerned with the artistic languages (especially Tolkien's
Elvish languages and Klingon language from 'Star Trek' TV series) and
the community of their users. I'm particularly interested in the ways
in which these languages are used outside of their source-texts, i.e.
as the means of artistic expression or as an object of scholarly
study.

I would like to learn more about Klingon language, as well as the
activities it inspires, by following discussions posted on this
mailing list. I can assure you that I will not interfere with any of
your discussions (and I surely do not feel competent enough to talk
about Klingon language). I hope that the members of the list will
find my presence here acceptable.

I would be happy to gain a bigger insight in your activities through
a more direct communication, was any of the members of this list
interested in sharing their experiences and answering several
questions via email.

Any information gathered by following the discussions or through any
email conversations will be treated with confidentiality. I will
ensure that any opinions recounted or directly quoted in my thesis
are anonymised. However, if the authors prefer to be identified, I
will show the quotes that I want to use and I will explain the
context in which they are to appear. At this time the authors will be
free to request not to be quoted and, I assure, their wishes will be
fully respected.

I'd be happy to answer any question concerning my research and its
goals.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Karolina Kazimierczak