tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 09 10:03:33 2007

Re: nuqDaq matlh tu'lu'?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:

> >> Yechh.  If anything, that would mean an image viewer - a computer
> >> program or device.

ghunchu'wI':
> >jIQoch.  I think {cha'wI'} works for "image" or "photograph".

Doq:
>The problem is that the language was designed for a world which, so far as
>we know, does not include the concept of a photograph. I've never seen a
>photograph in any Star Trek episode or movie, except perhaps for the time
>travel episodes. We might see an image on a {HaSta}, but we don't see
>anybody pull out a piece of paper with an image of someone's face on it.

As I understand it, {HaSta} "visual display (on monitor)" IS the image on
the monitor/viewing screen {jIH}. (The main view screen on the bridge is
called a {jIH'a'}.)  This is a "real life" image as opposed to the {wIy}
"tactical display (on monitor)" - i.e. an actual (albeit magnified) image
of a ship vs. a schematic symbol representing a ship on a target
acquisition grid.  See SkyBox Card SP3 "Klingon Tactical Display" {tlhIngan
wIy}:

   motlh ray' luSamlaHmeH De' Qatlh cha' tlhIngan Duj jIH'a'
   The main viewer on a Klingon ship is usually overlaid with a
   complex target acquisition grid. (SP3)

which I believe showed one of those red triangular grids we've seen so
often on Klingon displays.

Note that one shows or displays {cha'} the {HaSta} or {wIy}:

   HaSta yIcha'
   Show the visual display! TKD

   wIy yIcha'
   Show the tactical display! TKD -

one doesn't activate {chu'} them - which is used for devices.

BTW, the words {HaSta'}, {wIy} and {cha'} come from the eleven original
Klingon words created by James Doohan and spoken by Mark Lenard (through a
set of prosthetic teeth) in the opening scene of "ST: The Motion Picture"
which Marc Okrand used as the basis for tlhIngan Hol:

   HaSta
   Visual! STMP (clipped)

   wIy cha'
   Display tactical! STMP (clipped)