tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 08 09:59:53 2007

Re: nuqDaq matlh tu'lu'?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> >> art gallery - *{cha'meH Daq} or *{'angmeH Daq}?

Quvar:
>We all (should) know there is no word for "image", but an image
>does {cha'} (show), not {'ang} (reveal).
>
>The first means to show something that is not important or new.
>The sond is to reveal something that hasn't been seen before.
>
>  Some people have used *cha'wI'* for image, a "thing which shows".

Doq asks:
>>cha' - show, display (picture) TKD
>>'ang - show, reveal TKD
>>
>>Where's the cannon that adds the stuff about importance or novelty?

Quvar:
>I don't know if it's written like this somewhere, but we have the nentay
>sentence
>   {tIqwIj Sa'angnIS}
>   "I need to show you my heart"
>
>He did not say {tIqwIj Sacha'nIS}. That's how I understand the "specialty"
>of what is shown.
>
>{yIcha'} sounds to me like "show it to me, as you showed it to others",
>while {yI'ang} sounds like "stop hiding it, and show it now". I believe
>that's what "reveal" means (but I might be wrong of course :-)

{cha'} "show, display (picture)" in canon:

   DoS cha'
   Display target! STMP (clipped)

   wIy cha'
   Display tactical! STMP (clipped)

   wIy yIcha'
   Show the tactical display! TKD/KCD

   HaSta yIcha'
   Show the visual display! TKD

   mIvDaq pogh cha'
   display a glove on (one's) helmet
   (IDIOM: a matter has been postponed or rescheduled) KGT

   mIvwIjDaq poghlIj vIcha'
   I display your glove on my helmet
   (implies that the postponed matter is between the speaker and the
addressee) KGT

   tlhIngan Dujmey law'qu' SommeyDaq batlh cha'lu'
   [It] has been emblazoned upon the hulls of countless Klingon starships. SP1

   motlh ray' luSamlaHmeH De' Qatlh cha' tlhIngan Duj jIH'a'
   The main viewer on a Klingon ship is usually overlaid with a complex
target acquisition grid. SP3

{'ang} "show, reveal" in canon:

   tIqwIj Sa'angnIS
   I must show you my heart. (Age of Ascension Ritual, TNG "The Icarus
Factor") KTW

   tIqlIj Da'angnIS
   You must show your heart. PK

   quv Hutlh HoHbogh tlhIngan 'ach qabDaj 'angbe'bogh
   A Klingon who kills without showing his face has no honor. TKW

   'ang'eghQo' quv Hutlhbogh jagh neH ghobtaHvIS ghaH
   Only an enemy without honor refuses to show himself in battle. TKW

   ro'lIj HI'ang
   Show me your fist! KGT

   rolIj HI'ang
   Show me your torso! KGT

   "Show my your fist" is an idiomatic expression used to challenge someone to
   take action in a manner consistent with something he or she has just said.
   Substituting "torso" for "fist" by mispronouncing {ro'} as {ro} would
produce
   a phrase that would be interpreted only literally. Ordering a Klingon to
reveal
   his or her torso is probably not a good idea. (KGT 195)

   qabDaj 'ang
   He/she shows his/her face [i.e. a challenge to a duel] KGT

   A duel is preceded by one party issuing a challenge to the other. This is
   expressed by using the phrase {qabDaj 'ang} (literally, "He/she shows
his/her
   face," referring to the Klingon tenet that a warrior always shows his or her
   face in battle). To challenge someone to a duel, one will give the command
   {qablIj HI'ang} ("Show me your face!"), though this is often shortened to
   simply HI'ang ("Show me!") [...] The challenged party may agree to the duel
   by answering {vISo'be'} ("I don't hide it") or the lengthier {qabwIj
vISo'be'}
   ("I don't hide my face"). This person is said to {'angchu'} ("show
clearly"),
   the usual shorthand way of saying {qabDaj 'angchu'} ("He/she shows his/her
   face clearly"). One accepts a challenge ({qab 'ang} [literally, "shows
face"])
   in order to prove one's honor ({quv tob} [literally, "test honor
conclusively"]).
   (KGT 68f)

   When asked to speak Klingon, [Okrand] often says, {QI' peghmey vI'angQo'}
   which means "I refuse to reveal military secrets".    (Qov, HQ 13.3:14)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level