tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 07 14:03:54 2007

Re: nuqDaq matlh tu'lu'?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 02:50 PM Wednesday 2/7/2007, you wrote:
>ghItlh Voragh:
>
> > art gallery - *{cha'meH Daq} or *{'angmeH Daq}?

Lieven:
>I think you should know that...
>We all (should) know there is no word for "image", but an image does
>{cha'} (show), not {'ang} (reveal).
>
>The first means to show something that is not important or new.
>The sond is to reveal something that hasn't been seen before.

Actually, I was distracted by the secondary gloss for {'ang} "show".

>Some people have used *cha'wI'* for image, a "thing which shows".

Yechh.  If anything, that would mean an image viewer - a computer program
or device.

BTW, Google uses *{nagh beQ nejwI'} for "Image Search" in their Klingon
browser - from {nagh beQ} "stone panel (artwork, similar to a painting)" in
KGT:

   Carving or incising is also done on flat surfaces, usually a stone
   panel or {nagh beQ} (literally, "flat rock"), a term that bas been
   extended to mean the resulting artwork itself as well as similar
   pieces, including paintings. Such carvings are sometimes just orna-
   mental, sometimes informational (if the Klingon writing system,
   {pIqaD}, is incorporated into the design), sometimes representational.
   What the Federation would classify as a painting - that is, a {nagh
   beQ} featuring an image not carved into it but painted onto it - is
   made by applying {rItlh} ["pigment, paint, dye"] ...  (KGT 80)

   When it is necessary to talk about colors more precisely, as it might
   be for the creator of a {nagh beQ}, various devices are employed.
  (KGT 82)

As I read it, {nagh beQ} is reserved for works of art and is not a general
word for image.  But it's the closest we've got at the moment other than
{HaSta} "visual display (on monitor)".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons