tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 07 08:13:20 2007

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for February 2, 2007

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 07:53 AM Wednesday 2/7/2007, pm5 wrote:
>>   Boss: "This must be what bonding feels like."
>>
>>I use {Sap} "volunteer" for "apply (a job)".

Don't forget recruit:

   ghuv vImoj vIneH.
   I want to become a recruit.

   chomuvmoH vIneH.
   I want you to recruit me.

>>                                           But I don't know how to
>>translate "bonding" in the last sentence.  We have {ruStay} "bonding
>>ritual" which is the closest thing I can find.

lay'tel SIvten:
>'Bonding' could be seen as the result of undergoing the bonding ritual.

Something like:

   qaSlaw'pu' ruStay.  wejpuH.
   It seems the bonding-ritual has occurred.  Charming!

Another approach for "we have bonded" might be {mararchuqpu'} literally "we
have connected to/with each other" or {matay'choHpu'} "we have become
united"?  For "must be what X feels like" just add {-law'} "it seems,
apparently".

Yet another approach is to use {muvtay} "initiation, induction ceremony,
initiation rite":

   ruStay 'oHlaw' muvtayvam'e'.
   This initiation is apparently a bonding-ritual.

   ruStay mojlaw'pu' muvtay.
   It seems that an initiation has turned into a bonding-ritual.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level