tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 05 07:49:31 2007

Re: KLI authorized user

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

You've got it backwards. Paramount claims complete
ownership of all trademark and intellectual property
rights to anything to do with the Klingon language or
people.

Marc Okrand was their employee when he wrote the
language. Obviously, they've let him publish things
in and about Klingon, but they still claim ownership
of the language.

The KLI became an "authorized user" by permission from
Paramount, so that it could use the language in its
publications. Paramount still retains ownership.
I don't know if money changed hands for this, or if
the KLI pays royalties to Paramount.  Lawrence would
know.

-- ter'eS

--- Thorwald Peeters <[email protected]> wrote:

> <citaat van="Lieven Litaer">
> > Hi!
> >
> > We frequently see the note "Klingon, Star Trek,
> and all related marks are
> > Copyrights and Trademarks of Paramount Pictures.
> All Rights Reserved.
> > Klingon Language Institute Authorized User."
> >
> > I just wondered, "Authorized User" of what? Only
> user of the word
> > "Klingon" in its name, or user of the klingon
> language?
>
> I think that Klingon (the word, the race) were
> actually "invented" by
> Paramount/Viacom. The language, since it was
> invented by MO (or was it
> James Doohan?), is what Paramount/Viacom is the user
> of. They therefor are
> authorised user of the Language and services of the
> KLI.
>
> This is what I know/understand...
>
> > Quvar.
>
> --
> Thorwald Peeters
> a.k.a. qa'pIn qorghon puqloD, qI'meQ tuq
> a.k.a. SoplaHtaHwI'
> Duj tlhIngan wo' "Qebmey Tai joH"Daq Doq puHvaD Hung
> loD'e'

Back to archive top level