tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 01 11:31:57 2007

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for January 29, 2007

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

pm5 wrote:

>"Dogbert consults."
>{malja' Haq Doqbot.}
>
>I translated "consult" into {malja' Haq} "intervene in business"

Nice use of the slang term {Haq} "intervene in (a situation)":

   jagh HIvrup SuvwI' Haqpa' DIvI' qeSwI'
   The warrior was prepared to attack the enemy until the Federation advisor
    intervened.
   ("The warrior was prepared to attack the enemy until the Federation advisor
     performed surgery") KGT

Cf. also {mun} "intervene" and  {nIS} "interfere with".  But if you want to
stay closer to the original text, use {qeS} "advise".

>  Doqbot: {tlhoy lujwI'mey bomuvmoHmo' Suluj.} [corrected]
>Dogbert: "Your problem is that you have too many losers
>           on the payroll."

"Because you recruit too many losers, all-of-you lose/fail."

Suffix:  {lujwI'pu'} for people.

This might be a good place for {qay'} "be a problem, be a hassle" or {Seng}
"cause trouble" and/or the noun {Seng} "trouble".  Perhaps something like:

   tlhoy lujwI'pu' bomuvmoHmo' tlhIHvaD qay'.
   Because you recruit too many losers, it is a problem for you.

   tlhoy lujwI'pu' bomuvmoHmo' tlhIHvaD Seng.
   Because you recruit too many losers, it causes trouble for you.

Perhaps you could modify the proverb:

   tlhIngan quv DatIchDI' Seng yIghuH
   When you insult a Klingon's honor, prepare for trouble. TKW

to something like

   tlhoy lujwI'pu' bomuvmoHDI' Seng yIghuH!
   When you recruit too many losers, prepare for trouble!

>  Doqbot: {Do' lujwI' ngu'meH porghQeD quH qaDna' vIchenmoH.}
>Dogbert: "Luckily I have developed a fool-proof DNA test
>           for identifying losers."
>
>... and "DNA" into {porghQeD quH} "biology heritage".

{porghQeD} "the scientific study of bodily functions" (i.e. anatomy [?])

   Maltz was familiar with the scientific study of bodily functions, or
   {porghQeD}, but he didn't consider himself terribly well versed in the
   field. The closest he could come to "bodily function" was {porgh mIw},
   literally "body process", but he had a hard time thinking of an everyday
   sentence containing that phrase. He said that Klingons don't talk all
   that much about bodily functions as a group, but they certainly do talk
   about specific bodily functions. (HQ 12.4:8)

I understood this as "anatomy" but I suppose it is more inclusive,
extending to genetics.

I'm not sure about "heritage" though.  E.g.:

   tuQtaHvIS Hem. ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH.
   He wears it proudly as a reminder of his heritage. S20

   Klingons revere their ancestors, respect their elders, and have unparalleled
   veneration for heritage. (KGT 133)

   Younger Klingons, while accepting their heritage and observing the ancient
   rites, see some aspects of their elders' behavior and beliefs as, if not
   obsolete, then just old-fashioned. (KGT 133)

We also have the noun {ngoq} "code" -- say *{yInngoq} "life-code" from
*{yInQeD} widely used for "biology".  Klingons do study genetics:  Qu'Vat
Colony was the site of a genetics research facility in the 22nd century
where Dr Antaak was attempting to create Klingon Augments (ENT "Affliction"
& "Divergence").

>  Doqbot: {porghQeD quHwIj rurbe' porghQeD quHlIj.  lujwI' SoH.}
>Dogbert: "Well, I'm afraid your DNA doesn't match mine, loser."

Interesting.  {rurbe'} is glossed as a quality "be different", while {rur}
is the transitive verb "resemble" with many examples.  "Does not resemble"
is not as strong as "not match" however.  Try {nIbbe'} "not be identical"
or {rapbe'} "not be the same":

   rurbe' porghQeD quHwIj porghQeD quHlIj je.

   rapbe' yInngoqwIj yInngoqlIj je.

or just:

   rurbe' porghQeD quH(mey)maj.

   rapbe' yInngoq(mey)maj.

The plural suffix is probably redundant and could be omitted.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level