tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 01 08:17:36 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: tepqengwI' (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, February 1, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   tepqengwI'
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     cargo carrior, cargo lift

On the ST Continuum: Klingon Linguistic Studies web page this is defined as
"Space ship primarily used to transfer goods from one location to
another."  If this can be relied on, then related words are {tongDuj}
"freighter" and {SuyDuj} "merchant ship".

A ship for carrying people may be called a *{lupDuj} "(passenger) shuttle,
transport ship, runabout, troopship" - a back-formation from {lupDujHom}
"shuttlecraft".  IIRC there were regular shuttles linking DS9 with Bajor
and we once heard of a Klingon transport being destroyed in one DS9 episode
("Rules of Engagement"?).

>Additional Notes:
>Also on BoP poster ("cargo lift").

On the poster this is a type of crane - presumably for moving cargo about
on the cargo deck.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons