tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 31 05:17:10 2007

Art of War Chp. 2 (section 2/3)

Agnieszka Solska ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

QI' lo'meH po'chugh vay'
wa'logh neH negh muvmoH
'ej Soj HIjqa'be'.
juHvo' QI' luch qem
'ej jaghvo' Soj Suq.
vaj mangghom je'laH.

Those who are good at using the military
Do not conscript soldiers more than once
And do not transport provisions repeatedly.
They bring military equipment from home,
And get provisions from the enemy.
Thus they are able to feed the army.

Sep mIpHa'moH mangghom
Daq HopDaq jo HIjlu'chugh.
Daq HopDaq jo HIjlu'mo'
mIpHa'choH nuvpu'.
SumDI' mangghom
wagh Doch lungevlu'bogh.
waghDI' Doch lungevlu'bogh
Hoch lughajbogh lunatlh nuvpu'.
Hoch lughajbogh lunatlhpu'DI'
QI'vaD luruplu'mo' ghur bepchaj [A].

A state is impoverished by the army
If supplies are transported far away.
Transporting supplies far away
Renders the people poor.
When the army is near
Things sell dearly.
When things sell dearly
People spend all they have.
When they have spent all they have
They find war levies harder to bear.

toH nuvpu' HoS nupchoHmoHlu',
mIpchaj natlhchoHlu',
juHmeychaj chImchoHmoHlu'
'ej loj SochmaH vatlhvI' nuvpu' jo.
toH Duy'choHbogh Dujmo' Doy'choHbogh Sarghmo' [B] je [C]
luchmeymo' mIvmeymo' je,
chetvI'mo' tlhevjaQmo' je [D],
ghIntaqmeymo' yoDmeymo' je,
Duj Ha'DIbaHmeymo' tep Dujmo' je
loj javmaH vatlhvI' qum jo.

Thus the people's strength is depleted,
Their wealth drained away,
Their homes stripped bare
And seventy percent of their resources is gone.
And due to broken vehicles and worn-out horses,
Armor and helmets,
Crossbows and arrows,
Spears and shields,
Draft animals and heavy wagons,
Sixty percent of the government resources is gone.

vaj
mangghomDaj je'meH jaghvo' Soj tlhap Sa' val.
wa' tlho'ren [E] jagh Soj lo'laH law'
cha'maH tlho'ren SojlIj lo'laH rap [F].
wa' cheb [E] jagh Ha'DIbaH Soj lo'laH law'
cha'maH cheb Ha'DIbaH SojlIj lo'laH rap.

Therefore
A wise general feeds his army off the enemy.
One measure of the enemy's food
Is worth twenty of your own.
One portion of the enemy's feed
Is worth twenty of your own.

--------------

[A] {QI'vaD luruplu'mo' ghur bepchaj}:

Literally, "because taxes for the military are levied on them, their
suffering increases."

[B] {Sarghmo'}:

According to KGT (p.111), "A Klingon sark (Sargh) is an animal somewhat
resembling a Terran horse, both in appearance and in that Klingons
(generally individually) often ride on the animal's back."

[C] {Duy'choHbogh Dujmo' Doy'choHbogh Sarghmo' je}:

Literally, "Due to vessels which become defective and due to sarks which
become tired." I chose to omit the plural suffix {-mey} on {Duj} and {Sargh}
since in Klingon "a noun without a plural suffix may still refer to more
than one entity" (TKD 3.3.2).

The first version of the line was {Dujmey Duy'mo' Sarghmey Qopmo' je}. The
unsuffixed form of {Duy'} seemed wrong because it would imply that the
vehicles were defective from the start, rather than broken during battle.
The verb {Qop}, i.e. "be worn out," was wrong as it "is applied to tools,
mechanical devices, and the like" (KGT, p. 163). Obviously I could use it
to describe vehicles in {Duymey Qop}, but I really like the similarity of
sound in {Duy'choHbogh} and {Doy'choHbogh}.

[D] {chetvI'mo' tlhevjaQmo' je}:

This is as close as I could get to "crossbow and arrows." According to KGT
(pp. 64-65), {chetvI'} is a stick with a hook at the end used in throwing
certain type of spear, the {tlhevjaQ}.

[E] {wa' tlho'ren} - "one measure,"
     {wa' cheb} - "one portion":

When choosing the English and Klingon equivalents of the Chinese words I
decided it would be appropriate to use vague terms in English and specific
measure words in Klingon. As is well known, "Klingons may be inaccurate but
they are never approximate."

[F] {N1 lo'laH law' N2 lo'laH rap}:

The "law'/rap" construction was introduced in HolQeD 13:1, p. 9.

'ISqu'